Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Open House

Janice and I went to an Open House thrown by one of my friends.
She and her husband bought a house that was built in the 1930's in Tally and are going to renovate and restore it before they move in.
It's kind of hard to explain how the house looks. I wish I had a picture, but the best thing I think would be to tell you to picture your grandma's house on the inside, and think of southern old, red brick houses on the outside, in a quiet neighborhood.

The open house was really great. They had wine and cheese and cold meat/salami but that wasn't the most interesting thing.
Janice and I found a little closet that when you go in, the wood smells of the past. It smelled to me like my grandma's old house where she had a lot of suitcases of her clothes from the 1930's and 40's and her old jewelry. You could look through the clothes and dress up and pretend you were in olden days (LOL olden days: the 1940s).

So we sniffed at the wood in there for a long time. My friend caught us doing it and she told us to keep on doing what we were doing! I think it is so funny...she was just so chipper about everything...most people would have looked at us like we were crazy. Or maybe she has already decided and accepted the fact that we are kooky LOL!

The rest of the house had little nooks and crannies all over. We found the basement which was creepy enough to hold our interest and make us keep the door propped WIDE open when we went down there.

My friend's brother in law took us up to the attic.
The stairs were so steep, you really had to be careful going up there. Then once we got up there, there was only room for one person to really walk on the beams..they were a little unstable and the rest of it was that insulating material, that if you stepped on it, you would fall through...so we stayed there a little while talking about it but then I got a little scared about the steps so we went down.

Of course we met some great and interesting people there. But I think this time the house was what kept me going because of all the little details of it...The doors had locks that went with these tiny keys that you saw in the Alice in Wonderland or Enid Blyton or Charles Dickens books...It was amazing. The house smelled old..Good old...like memories.

Janice's mom bought a historic house which she is going to turn into a tea house.

I love that idea because I have been to a great tea house in Trinidad at the guest house named PAX.


It's near the Mount St. Benedict Monastery, and I always made up stories about the type of people that lived in there when I passed it!
At tea time they have British tea ...cakes, teas , scones etc.

But the magical thing was that they had a small fountain and a feeder with sweet honey water, so at tea time the hummingbirds and honey creepers would flock around and butterflies would also come...I am telling you it was like being in a magic place...I love old houses.

I also like plantation houses in Trinidad.
Hugs M

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.