Thursday, September 15, 2005

Primary School

I realize now, looking back on things that I really was in my own little world in primary/elementary school.

We stayed there till we were 11 years old, did these way too hard exams (which we spent a year prepping for), then went off to high school.

During elementary school though, I feel like I was oblivious to the 'social stuff' that I was supposed to be learning about, and be ready for when I got to high school.

I thought that my worst enemy (Nadia) getting bitten by ants was funny...her friends didn't think it was. Even today I don't think the biting part was funny, just the way she jumped around and screamed at everyone to 'get them off!'

How did eight year old Karen know about kissing boys when we were all eight? Eight year old boys were gross and annoying to me..and I didn't know many at all...My brother was 4 and he was annoying enough for a lifetime...but too cute with his little round face...we spoiled him (sigh)

How come they just let me flit from group to group and never insisted that I stick with one group all the time....
I just went where the fun was. If Nikisha's group was boring, I hung out with Tracey, when Tracey got too lame, I hung out with Karen.

Karen had the biggest group because she had the most toys. Barbies, coloring books , doll clothes etc.
I had very few toys because mummy bought us books as presents and doctor sets, scrabble and mad libs.
You couldn't just hang with Karen though, her entourage was too big. You had to get through Candace and Natasha, Ria, Narissa, Nicole and whoever was there that day.
They they were all short too!
Well I was gangly and tall and got picked to shoot hoops in netball. They got picked to do African dances on stage because they wanted everyone to be a uniform height. Miss Nichols was so unfair!


I did get to do the Maypole dance but I got my timing wrong and messed up the christmas dance...I cried all the way home and mummy was sad that I was sad (how sweetly codependent was that?). I can laugh about it now but I still secretly believe that Marissa was the one who messed up and blamed me.....
It's just my luck to find out that the maypole dance his its origins in druidry......
Well at least we were celebrating the birth of Christ with it..That's all I have to say.

Check out my pic of the maypole dance, but picture cute eight year old girls doing the dance instead...



But I digress, so if one of Karen's entourage was feeling 'not quite right' on any given day, you would never know if you'd be allowed to just 'hang'.

How come I didn't understand about cliques till i was sixteen?

How come I never went to any sleepovers (ask mummy)

How come these little girls (we went to an all girl Catholic primary school), let me boss them around sometimes, when I had no clue about anything in life? They obviously knew more than me.

How come we all knew curse words but I wasn't brave enough to say them till I got to college. By then it was too late for me...it just didn't sound right or cool coming out of my lame mouth.

How come I didn't realise that Natasha was stealing my 75 cents when I saw her taking it out of my pencil case....

Why didn't I know that I was supposed to cry when Gillian was going away? I didn't know you were supposed to miss someone who went away! I just thought that that was what people did...

What was up with me?

Well I can definately tell you that part of it was the books I was reading...


I was in Enid Blyton land with the Nughtiest Girl in School, Mallory Towers, fairies, elves, pixies, hot-cold candies and icecream, Faraway Trees, Golliwogs, treacle, Bobby socks, lunch pails, Elevenses, the Famous Five (Julian, Dick and Ann, George and Timmy the dog) and everything British.....
Hugs
M

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.