Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Food - 'dream to here' Experiences


Even food can be a great 'dream- to- here' experience for me.
I love the Fresh Market on Thomasville Road.
The following is an except from an article that I wrote about the Fresh Market the first time I went there.

The inside was dark but not bad dark at all!
Romantic restaurant dark. The kind of romantic restaurant that you saved for two months to take your girlfriend to and you thought to yourself that she had better be impressed because you will be living on pork and beans till your next paycheck.
That kind of dark.
It was like stepping into Gourmet magazine. Just walking right on in to the pages and just swimming in the romantic restaurant with amber lighting darkness.

I picked up a basket. It was decidedly unromantically green and hard plastic but whatever. I was still impressed for they were piled romantically to the left and the right of the automatic doors, which didn’t even make that swishing sound when they opened.
It was like magic.

I moved from right to left in the store. The fruit was perfectly colored and perfectly piled upon perfect green grocer stands. I wasn’t afraid to touch them but I didn’t anyway, because I didn’t want to ruin the presentation.

Deep in the recesses of my mind however I know that even if I inadvertently damaged the pristine perfection of the plum, pomegranate or persimmon displays, that as soon as I had removed myself from the area, a fresh market secret agent would mysteriously appear to make that world right again.

People, the meat was perfect, pink with neither odor nor freezer burn. And the Deli! How wonderful that pre-cooked food looked undoubtedly NOT day old. I was in heaven.
I ignored everyone except the deli workers but I still took my time. Then one lady asked me what I wanted.
What I wanted? What I wanted! Ma’am I want it all, but I don’t want to pay the $9.99 per pound for the coconut chicken with the pineapple sauce. Was it possible to just have the one chicken finger?
It was too possible!.....

That is the end of the excerpt but that store is so surreal.

The classical music on the PA system is priceless. I go there on some Saturdays for the cooking demonstrations. I got some good ideas from the chef.
Look at the background of this pic with the chef...

Look at the darkness and the warm romantic look of it...Geez

I'm a good cook but it never hurts to learn something new...

Like artichokes and crab..in warm herb butter...That was the most romantic thing I've ever eaten.

You eat with your hands and it just takes you away....you really do feel euphoric... but you dont say anything because the person you are eating it with may think you are weird.

Hugs M

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.