Tuesday, November 15, 2005

First Denzel


I have always liked Denzel Washington.
Firstly because of his name Denzel, secondly because he is a great actor, thirdly because WOW, he is the total package! You know...just a really nice person it seems.
He always impressed me, even when I was little watching St. Elsewhere.
His most memorable performance was as Steve Biko in 'Cry Freedom'. When I started High School in Trinidad at age 11, they took the whole school to the movies to see it.
They all cried. 700 crying girls. Brilliant!
I felt awful. At that time I didn't cry so that anyone could see. I never did that in those days, but I should have because my stomach was on fire, and I had blinding headaches.
Looking back on it now I wished I wouldn't have seen it because the teachers didn't really explain to us that we would cry and feel lost and weird.
I had never been to a funeral (my first one was at age 26), never really seen anything terribly bad or violent done to anyone I really liked on TV, so that was one bad time. I still remember the feelings to this day. I remember how Denzel looked when they showed his body. He was gray and swollen and beat up.
It was after that I started having nightmares about dead people...but whatever...I don't want to think about it anymore.

Hugs
M

1 comment:

Panner said...

He is my favorite actor too-I have posters of him in my apt. and collect all of his movies. Just an all-around great guy like you say Marsha!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.