Friday, November 18, 2005

As I Lay Sleeping

Last night at 12:45 am my phone rings...
Nocturnal friend (NF): Hi, I can't sleep, can you talk for a little while?

Me: Sure, what's up? You know I'm going to blog that you called me so late right?

NF(cheerily): Sure, no problem. So what you doing?

Me (getting my bearings) : Laying in bed listening to you. What's going on, why can't you sleep?

NF (pensive): Just thinking about a lot of stuff, life, future etc....I couldn't sleep last night either

Me (waking up): Wow, well we can talk for a while if you think it will help

NF(sheepishly): I wanted to call you last night but I thought you may be sleeping at 2am in the morning

Me (deleriously giggly):LOL, I kinda was.

NF(softly): I'm glad you don't mind talking to me

Me (aww): Well I know you would do the same, if you could hear your phone in your deep sleep.

NF(matter-of -factly): So I was thinking that.........

Half an hour later after we had talked non stop about everything under the sun and moon

NF(half interestedly): So why do you always ask people what they had for lunch or dinner?

Me (happy to talk about food): Its a vicarious living thing. I get to imagine that I can eat that stuff without needing stomach pumping later.

NF(amused): You're so funny !

Me (a little dryly): Yeah it comes out mainly when my mind is trying to shut down on me.

NF(happily): See! more funny...you're a good friend

Me (softly): Thanks, you too....

NF(voice fading): I feel sleepy now.

Me (bright eyed and bushy tailed): Good, I'm really glad. Get some rest ok?

NF (voice barely audible): Goodnight Marsha

ME (wide awake): Bye

It was 2:30 by that time. I couldn't get back to sleep. Remember Faulkner "As I lay dying"?
I felt like that. I think the last time I remember looking at the clock it was 3:45am

That, in combination with the cold weather this morning made my eyeballs hurt. I told Sandi this morning as I came into the office and she giggled. Your eyeballs hurt?!

Only then did it strike me as funny that my eyeballs were hurting...its not a common thing to have happen.
I was able to laugh, especially when she lent me her keys for the door and when I retuned them to her they were freezing from my hands...so I feel better now.

Hugs M

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.