Thursday, January 26, 2006

Snail Mail

Remember in the old days of snail mail when you used to have penpals from all over the world because of the Finnish International Penpal friend service?

Those were the good old days. I had penpals from The US, Finland, Africa, Sweden, Germany, Philippines, Australia, Austria, Slovenia, Israel and England.
This was me from ages 12 to 17.
Then I got really busy with college entrance exams and that was that.
When I was in University though, one of the German penpals came to visit me. He had turned into this super photographer and so while we traveled all over Trinidad, he took pics. Including pictures of me which I asked him kindly not to post because I was scared of the internet! (Hahah, who would have known!)

Well I essentially took him round to my favorite beaches and areas in the country side, and he got great shots. The interesting thing about us going round to these places was that we took taxis and buses. That was interesting because, on his own he asked some taxi drivers to take him around and they tried to charge him 200 dollars TT (about 35 US).
When he told me that, I took a day off school to show him exactly how to get around when I was not there (and what to say and how to say it to the taxi drivers). So it cost us exactly 12 dollars TT (2 dollars US) roundtrip, to get to the first place Manzanilla Bay.
The second place is Sangre Grande where my cousin owns a farm.

Anyway I am still in contact somewhat with the penpal from England (who moved to Israel), but it's not the same beacuse email kinda leaves you in limbo once you've gotten all caught up in 10 minutes (hahah)
Messenger is only good for penpalling when you are talking to Andy (hahah-per our conversation yesterday).
TEE HEE
Hugs M

4 comments:

Panner said...

This is great!! I had international penpals too (mostly in junior high/early high school)! I got so excited when letters would arrive from my friend Marliyn in Estonia. She was my favorite one and I still have her letters. You are right-the good old days of snail mail and getting fun international things in the mail are kind of over, but I still love it. Sometimes I get things from Costa Rica in the mail.

Anonymous said...

I know!
Don't you just get all excited and feel special when you see a pretty envelope in the mail with a stamp and you know its not bills or junk?- This is what I was telling Andy yesterday.....

Panner said...

AND it says AIR MAIL!!

Anonymous said...

AND the German envelopes were always blue. The Finnish girls always sent postcards and the German girls always sent posters of New Kids On the block or Eros Ramzotti!
The British Girl always talked about school, and the american guy talked about traveling with his parents. Geez! That was great stuff!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.