Monday, January 09, 2006

Body Image (BI) and BS

I teach Body Image, Nutrition, Food and Fashion marketing to middle schoolers and wherever they need a guest lecture on the topic.
The audience I have detemines the presentation style so I really have to keep up on all the trends and news about dieting, marketing to young people, food trends, food marketing and body image issues.
I was reading an article in Barnes and Nobles called "Why America Hates Fat Women"
It chronicles mainly how overweight people, but mainly women, are discriminated against in the United States.
Like I said, I try to keep up with the trends, so the article didn't give me much new except for an internet link for a blog which promotes fat acceptance. I visited the site, which links to other articles on the issue, and one of the articles I read blew me away.

I was shocked. I felt ill (I always do when something is deeply disturbing), I felt nervous, I felt weird.
The article was on Sweathogging. It is a really graphic article so if you read the link be forewarned. After I read it I asked everyone I knew if they had ever heard about this. The women said yes more or less (not the name but the process) but the men didn't seem to know. Maybe I know a pretty tame bunch of men, or people are being secretive.

I really did not know that this sort of thing was happening. Even with all I know about how people behave I still couldn't believe, that people treat each other this way.
Oh well....... right?
Should I just shrug my shoulders and say "Oh well...Life goes on?"
No. I'll do my best with the resources I have to reach the people I teach on these issues.

This whole thing SUCKS FYI.
M

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is very nasty

Anonymous said...

...and low minded and callous!

Anonymous said...

You are right sis

Panner said...

Disgusting, just disgusting. But true-it happens all the time unfortunately.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.