Thursday, January 12, 2006

MLK Celebration

Yesterday there was a Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr commemorative celebration. His youngest daughter Reverend Bernice King was there as the distinguished speaker.
At this Ceremony They usually present a Martin Luther King Jr. Distinguished Service Award, and I actually know personally six of the 19 past recipients. One of them Dr. Jenice Rankins is on my defense committee. Mr. Earl Lee and Dr. Billy Close were part of a mentorship program in which I was selected as a mentor and of course Roberta Christie (good friend of Janice's).

As I said before Reverend Bernice King was the distingushed speaker and was about 5 years old when she attended her father's funeral. That is her with her mom at the funeral (sad times). I really was enraptured by her speech (unfortunately she was very badly treated and disrespected when she got to town here at the Double Tree Hotel, and ended up staying at the Ramada Inn.
I learned later that the Double Tree paid for her stay at the Ramada). She talked about God's truth and how it applies to the collective consciousness of society and how we must not be lulled by media images, agape love etc...you had to be there...I will never do her speech any justice.

So afterward there was a reception and small press conference. I went and talked to the media people because I felt they would know where she would be. I just followed them with my big official looking camera into the press room where only FIVE of US were allowed (they thought I was press!).

Then afterward, I was again one of FOUR people to get a picture with her. She was so super sweet too. I didn't expect anything less, but really she is so gracious. I love it.
I can't believe that I would meet a child of Martin Luther King Jr. Here in this place! I felt so strange after that!

Well anyway after I got my pic and everything, I stayed at the reception and talked to Anika (Director of the Student Counseling Center), and Kellie, since they were on the planning committee for the event. They were so much fun. Kellie actually took my pic with Reverend King.

Then I saw my friend Louis. He is really a great speaker etc. We only ever had one falling out over a project we were doing together. I sent him an email
My email: Louis, I can't.....
I don't like how this is situation is shaping up....
Why did you.........
I am very concerned about......
I feel unsure about our........

His Email: M, don't mistake me....
This is a miscommunication.....
What can I do to.......
Let us........

I forgave him instantly and we're so cool now.......I think he may also be one of the tallest guys I know personally ...hahah
Hugs M

3 comments:

Panner said...

I LOVE how you put up the pics of her at the funeral!! Great idea! It really brings the whole story to a kind of reality........

Anonymous said...

I KNOW....IT ALL FEELS SURREAL!
I wish you could have gone!

Anonymous said...

Can't you be charged for impersonating a reporter? ; ) I'm happy for you.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.