Friday, February 10, 2006

Fibonacci and me

I really like Diana Eng. I think she is a really talented designer. I would only wear a few things that she makes of course because when you incorporate technology and fashion, only a few things are really easy to wear.
Recently I found that she had been using Fibonacci sequence in her designs (see the shawl in the pic- That's Diana's- so is the dress of course), and they were wonderful to look at so I decided to use it in jewelry making. I recently started using more and more wire in combination with beads and was really successful in a couple bracelets I made for Jan so I wanted to try Fibonacci and see how it turned out.
So far I have only drawn the design of the next bracelet and necklace but I think it will turn out great.
Let me give a brief description of the sequence so everyone can know.
It's basically a simple sequence, where every number is the sum of the two numbers preceeding it.
So the result is: 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34

What I did with my design is that I did a double and reversal. Easy stuff: I start one end with 1, 1, 2, 3, 5 then finish with 5, 3, 2, 1 , 1 and clasp.

I don't know why I didn't think of using Math before with my designs. I have been going crazy trying to learn silly loops, twists and braids etc when I could have just stuck to the basics. Thanks Diana!
Hugs M

3 comments:

Erin said...

That is BRILLIANT!!!! I love it - what a great way to incorporate math into the world.

love, the math geek :)

Anonymous said...

I know! Diana is a technology freak! i am going to look up other theories etc too!

Panner said...

DITTO CHRISTINE! Marsha, I can't wait to see these new ones!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.