Thursday, May 11, 2006

HAKKA

This is North American Taiwanese Heritage Week, so I went with Mr. Pins to a Hakka Performance by the Hung Ru Music group at Opperman.
It was really tremendous and I had a lot of fun. There was a reception afterwards where I took a pic with Lucy Ho (finally), and the food was great!
Check out my food blog for a couple details and pics.
Lucy told me that they had done the Festival 4 times. Twice at Opperman and twice at Ruby Diamond.
She has actually been in Tallahassee for more than 35 years. She said she was a little worried because it was a Wednesday and so the auditorium wasnt filled...I thought to myself "well its 4/5 filled!" She came with her husband John who is in the process of writing a book.

The performances were good and I got a short video of it. I really liked the performers so I got pics with most of them.

Mr. Pins was really sweet and put down his food each time I wanted a pic...I feel so bossy! :)

The Mayor Pro-Tem was there for a while and the Commisioner. I talked to the Commisioner who said he loved the Tallahassee Cultural events like the Caribbean Ccarnival because he likes to dance...He demonstrated how he danced and I laughed and laughed and laughed...his wife came and made him stop! :)

So the Hung Ru music group did some great stuff. The music was Classical mixed with Western style so some of it sounded Jazzy, or pop, or sultry..It was strange to hear it. They also did a Spanish song "At the Bulfight" and made it sound Taiwanese! That was weird to hear!

Afterward at the reception I got pics with the performers I liked the best of course......
Umm I have to mention, Everyone was really kinda short so I look like a giant next to them. One girl stood on Tip Toe to look halfway tall, and all the guy musicians laughed!
On stage they looked much taller......
I mean especially the guys..but now I realize that they were all about the same height. When I took a pic with the guy shown here he took one with HIS camera as well..I don't usually allow that because I don't know where the pic will end up..but whatever....
I love cultural things! :)
Hugs
M

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.