Saturday, November 10, 2007

Haitian Cultural week

Is this week.

They have a ton more events going on including a scavenger hunt and olympics, but I only attended this show.

The Poetry was excellent.

Like what you would hear at Amen-Ra's or Black on Black Rhyme at Mt. Zion, but in French with Haitian themes.

They showed little clips of Haiti, slavery, revolutions etc...

Sang songs

Danced (which I enjoyed immensely).

Lots of Dance

Skits

Spoke French almost all the time., but it was different..like patois in Trinidad

It's interesting how African they are in performance.

The music is Caribbean but you can hear how similar it sounds to the African music they play nowadays for dancing.

Meanwhile everyone showed up for this and the pageant

I would be remiss if I didn't mention the art

I liked these two the best.

3 comments:

Marcie said...

That sounds a little similar to what they do in UWI with the Jounen Kweyol(creole day). The students from st. lucia, and the French speaking caribbean hold exibitions and stuff like this.

Anonymous said...

DO you go there?

Marcie said...

Nah I never really went to them because I really didn't follow French Creole back then.

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.