Saturday, July 07, 2007

Black Snake Moan

Wow I loved this movie.
Reviews are mixed on it overall, but I think that it is the kind of movie that you 'get' or 'don't get'.
It's the kind of movie that you wont 'get' if you've never been through anything in your life or had to empathize with someone who has.

Nikki note: I saw this movie surrounded by some 19 year olds giggling at the sex and waiting for Samuel L Jacskon to say something about Snakes on a plane....I was incensed really by that..but I really should save my indignation for something other than a movie..... I do get your point Nikki

Black Snake Moan is set in a rural Southern town. Lazarus ( Samuel L. Jackson), is a deeply religious farmer, a former blues guitarist with marital problems; his wife has left him for his brother which leaves him with agony. Rae (Christina Ricci) is a sex-addicted young woman, traumatized by child abuse. She is distressed by the departure for duty of Ronnie (Justin Timberlake), her boyfriend who leaves on deployment with the National Guard.
When Ronnie Leave Rae loses all control and goes on a drinking, drug, and sex filled spree. After she is attacked by Ronnie's best fried and left for dead, Lazarus finds her and decides to take care of her.
His own agonized state leads him to believe that he can save her from herself, and he chains her to the heater in his house...
The rest you really need to see.
In this movie both characters discover who their real friends are, and help each other to heal in different ways.
I think it is a lovely, moving, and dramatic movie. I loved and highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"It's the kind of movie that you wont 'get' if you've never been through anything in your life or had to empathize with someone who has."

who hasn't been through 'something' or had to empathize with someone who has? i know some people who hated this movie and they've been through stuff you couldn't imagine

Marsha said...

Yeh I think I was deliberately being 'rattley" when I said that Nikki..I was intensely into that bit of story line and wanted others to see past a certain point
I wanted to put that in because some people I have talked to here can't get past the sex to the real story...I was tired of .."Oh he had her chained up"...I kept thinking..."did nobody have an English Lit class where they learned about symbolism?"
But I will keep the statement in BECAUSE I am not usually controversial in my opinions but I think this movie deserves the umph

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.