Tuesday, April 03, 2007

When I met Spike Lee

Spike Lee came to talk to us.

I had reservations about him at first because I wasn't sure I liked him as a person.
I really respect his hard work now.

From the way that he speaks, you can tell that he THINKS about the issues in his films, he THINKS about the story, the characters, the emotions, the meaning, and the value system. As a writer, I really appreciate that quality in him. That and the fact that he said that he prays every night because he is blessed.

He has overcome so many obstacles and stepped out there to DO HIS THING.
I am really glad I got to meet him afterward.

He talked about the making of Malcolm X when Warner Bros pulled funding and he called up Bill Cosby, Magic Johnson, Janet Jackson, Michael Jordan and Oprah, among others, to get funding for the movie.
When they announced that these prominent African Americans were making these gift/contributions toward the film, Warner Bros jumped back in to help funding and distribution once again.

In our pic together I am really glad that his face looks like the character Mookie in Do The Right Thing!
Meanwhile I am grinning like a Cheshire cat!
Meeting him is near the top of the list of celebs I want to meet so I am happy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha. Movie execs are so clueless! :D

Marsha said...

I know! Seriously Erline!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.