Thursday, January 08, 2009

That movie

I really liked the movie Doubt.
http://img2.timeinc.net/ew/dynamic/imgs/080812/Fall-Movie-Preview/doubt_l.jpg
I went to Catholic school w for maybe 7 years starting at age 5 and It was a strict as one sees in the movies. The teachers that were actually nuns were similar to those in the movie except they wore normal everyday clothes.
The teachers who weren't nuns behaved like nuns except around Carnival time when they Waylayed themselves and everybody down the streets of Port-of Spain.
I really enjoyed how they shot this movie. The color and the lighting took me back to the old days of school when the walls were a sickly pale green and the pillars were pus yellow.
Miss Guy (one of our principals), reminds me of the Meryl Streep character.
Occasionally Miss Guy would smile and I used to be surprised. I didn't think that she could smile, that she had anything to smile about.
We never met priests until Mass services at the big church downtown and especially on Ash Wednesday.
Even then I didn't get to meet the priests because I wasn't allowed to take communion :(
I never took my first communion so I was officially kinda banned from the other important catholic events.
I didn't care except when the catholic girls got to dress up in white dresses and veils and do whatever stuff they did when they wore those clothes.
I just know it was a lot of work learning all the Ascensions and Annunciations etc...I still don't know them.
My rosary beads broke and mummy refused to get me a new set.
I needed it too, to count all the prayers. It was always so long and I was always tired. My mind drifted a lot.
Those where the days I used to think about Jason Bateman, kurma, if ants were in my lunchkit and would I eat salt prune at recess or after school.
Back to the movie. I like it
Philip Seymore Hoffman was great. Meryl was excellent. I love Amy Adams but she should win an award for the other movie she was nominated for, not this one.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.