Wednesday, April 29, 2009

That's how we learn

When I went to see May Angelou speak, it was with some indifference.
I had read all of her books in my teens and I thought I knew all there was to know about her.
It was when I heard her speak, that I realized I didn't know that much.
The book told the story
What she said in person and how she said it told who she was.
When I heard her speak I wished to grow up to be just like her
It wasn't her eloquence. It was already clear that she was eloquent, classy, gifted.
It was her grace, her understanding of people, her boundaries and openness at the same time.
When we speak as a person of this time, we should automatically filter into the "Is it kind, is it loving, is it helpful, is it true, is it uplifting to your audience, to your friend to your brother.
All put together, not in isolation.
That's when you capture the heart of others and hold them there close.
I think I have that down :)

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.